Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Ecuador April 23, 2008

Brooke and I will be traveling to El Refugio, a Christian Retreat Center, located about 30 min North of Quito, Ecuador in June. We will be traveling with several other families from our church to complete work project(s) that are needed at the center, as well as working at a local orphanage. This will be the first time Brooke has been outside the U.S. and the first time she has been on a mission trip. We are both eager to go. El Refugio is near the equator and is about 10K feet above sea level.

I was tasked with raising most of the funds for this trip through donations. I have to tell you I was a little apprehensive about asking other people for money. Our Church has a policy of soliciting donations, even if the traveller is capable of self-funding the trip, which enables the person going to experience what it would be like to live as a full time missionary, totally dependent on others for support.

I have been amazed at the responses from many of my friends, family, business associates and others. Quite honestly, I've never seen anything like it! Those of you who have responded with financial and prayer support are truly wonderful. I will be using this blog as a base for communicating our journey to Ecuador, with pictures, updated postings, and other thoughts. Stay Tuned for future updates

No comments: